June 4, 2011

After living in the U.S. for 9 months




  2 weeks later this quarter will be done and I am going to leave the U.S. While I've lived in Riverside 9 months, I've learned life lessons from many people and experiences. 

  It wasn't easy to live here by myself at the first time. I especially remember that I cried at the dorm at the first day night because I came here alone and didn't have anything to contact with people. In the word, at that time, I didn't know what I'm going to do. Now, however, I think I'll miss here and friends. I'll never forget the memory I have had and I already feel sad. I want to write what I get and realize during the living in the U.S. 


 1. Speaking with Confidence

  Although I'm still afraid to lead sometimes, I'm pretty sure that I do better to speak english and announce presentation in front of people than before. When I was in my country, I hate someone ask me to lead some project or give an opinion, and it was more difficult when I speak English. While I've lived here, I realized that many people have confidence and they are very brave to give opinion. The culture of the U.S that say their thought directly in the free environment also affects me a lot. This factor is the most valuable what i got from here for me. I'll keep trying to be a good speaker with confidence.


2. Broaden the mind and thinking

  During 9 months, I've met various people from other countries, and traveled many places in the U.S. From these experience, I could rethink about my stereotypes and small mind, and realize that there have a lot of different world where I didn't know. For example, I might have had stereotypes of some countries, but I realized that all people are same, and don't judge person by the image of country that the media make.

From the traveling, I was happy to feel each city's mood and feel the people's lifestyle. Looking the famous places also excited, but I felt peace and free when i drive the long way to reach there with seeing the landscape. I thought the large land of the U.S. make people think and live freely.

I get the will to develop myself. I always hesitated to do new challenge and lived normally. However, I've met many people who are doing many expereinces to develop theirselves, and I got a mind to develop myself to be a nice person. When I met people who prepare their desire, I admired them and got many lessons. Life is short, and there have many outstanding people in the world. I thought I want to be an one of them.


3. Independent living and the value of home

In my country, I did independent living, yet I lived close with family and they supported me everything. In here, However, I have had to live by alone without family's help. It was not easy for me first time. I should pay rent, buy foods, do dishes, and clean the room without help. Shopping for the meals was the most stressful stuff. I should check the price, expiration date, and think about what I am going to eat. I was getting tired of these things. Sometimes, I got homesick because of mother's cook. I'll just stay at home for a while when I go back to home. It was good time to think about the value of home. Also, I'm not afraid to live by myself anymore. I feel I'm stronger than before becuase of this life experience. 



What I want to say is that 9 months in the U.S. was the most valuable experience and I'll never forget it which gave me many lessons. I'm happy to get not only the skill of English but also the valuable experiences. It really helped me to think about myself, and will keep helping me to develop myself. If there have many people who are hesitate to come here, I want to recommand strongly.
Good bye Riverside !


    

1 comment:

  1. Hello Sammie.Your writing attracts me a lot and I am so happy that i can say something about it. It's always sad to say Good Bye in the end. I am so glad that i can study with you an awesome Korean girl in the awesome teacher's Class with the awesome homework(Pnat). yeah it's true that so many awesome homework. I forget the first day that we start complaining the writing homework, but i so know form that day, we complain the homework everyday as a joke or a conversation starter. BY the way thanks for the homework that give us more topics to talk.
    Haha anyway, you and 银亨 will both go back to Korea and i will go back to China in summer too.
    I hope and i am sure we will meet each other again. may be in Korea, in China in USA or some place else. But no matter where i hope you know you have a good friend or younger brother named YuJie, who is from China.
    Oh Yeah . Welcome to China in the future and please contact with me when you come to China, and i will so appreciate to be your guide.
    As you said, life is short, so i hope you happy everyday

    YUJIE CAO
    曹宇杰
    June.12.2011

    ReplyDelete